Michelin is committed to protecting your personal information and being clear and transparent about what information we collect and how we will use it. This policy explains how any personal information we collect when you use our website or digital services, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us.
Please read the following policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal information and how we will treat it.
- Who we are and how we can be contacted
- About our privacy department
- Other policies and information we encourage you to read
- Information we may collect from you
- Marketing communications
- Information we collect about you from other places
- Where we store your personal information
- Sharing your personal information
- International transfers of personal data
- How long will personal information be kept by us?
- Your rights under data protection legislation
- What can you do if you're not happy?
- About data security
1. Who we are and how we can be contacted?
Our full company name is Manufacture Française des Pneumatiques Michelin (“Michelin”) and when you use our website and our services directly, we act as a Data Controller.
If you need to contact us you can do so through the contact form on our site.
2. About our Privacy Department
While everyone at Michelin is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy and we have a data protection Privacy Department who deals with all aspect of personal data at Michelin. You can contact them by sending an email to email@example.com.
3. Other policies and information we encourage you to read
4. Information we may collect from you
This section sets out:
- how we collect your personal information;
- the categories of data that we collect;
- a description of how we plan to use the information we collect;
- the legal basis that we will rely on to process information collected;
- how long we will hold the information collected;
- and specific types of data
We may collect and hold the following information about you:
|Data collected||Purpose/Activity||Type of Data||Lawful basis for processing||Retention period|
|Information you provide to us when you complete a survey or respond to a questionnaire or submit a review, your preferences or feedback (“Review Data”).||To collect information about a specific matter, for example, our services to you or reviews of our products/services.
In many cases surveys, and questionnaires are anonymous and we only collect personal information for statistical data. If this is not the case, we will let you know at the time of collecting the information. If such functionality is available, feedback and reviews may be disclosed on the Website with some personal information. In such case, you will be informed.
|Information may include your full name, your email address and other personal data requested.||As the legal basis for processing Review Data, we will use our legitimate interests in the monitoring and improvement of our products and services to our customers and users.||While we like to retain reviews and feedback from you to help other webusers, we will anonymise or delete your reviews and feedback after 10 years. All information retained will be statistical data only.
Any information collected pursuant to a survey or questionnaire will be deleted within 3 years of you submitting your responses. Any information retained will be statistical data only.
|Information you provide us when you communicate with us, e.g. by email or contact us form via our websites or through the live chat function on our website (“Communication Data”)||This information is used to enable us to respond to or following up on your comments, queries or questions||Information may include your full name, your email address and other personal data you provide us to enable us to deal with your communication||We will use our legitimate interests in the assisting you and answering your communications as the legal basis for processing Communication Data.||We will hold on to Communication Data for as long as it is necessary to enable us to deal with the matter relating to that communication. Once your matter has been dealt with, we will delete Communication Data within 6 months.|
|If you request further information from us by signing up to receive any of our newsletters or marketing communications (“Marketing Data”). For further details, see section 5 below.||Marketing Data is processed for the purposes of sending you the relevant notifications and/or newsletters and/or any marketing communication.||We will ask you for your name and email address so we can send you this information.||The legal basis for this processing is consent.||We will not keep Marketing Data more than 3 years after our last contact.|
When you provide us information (for example, the information set out in the scenarios above), in some cases we may ask you for additional, voluntary information. This information will be identified as optional and is used to help us better understand our customers and tailor our services to them.
We also collect and use aggregated data such as statistical or demographic data (“Aggregated Data”). Aggregated Data may be derived from your personal information but does not reveal your identity in any way. For example, we may aggregate your Usage and Device Data to calculate the percentage of our website users accessing a specific feature of our website. Aggregated Data is used for our own business purposes only.
Sensitive Personal Information
While we do not request sensitive personal data, we do have sections on our websites where you can submit additional information, for example, when you submit a review. If you submit information on these free text section, only submit information you are comfortable providing and always bear in mind that it may be sensitive information. If you submit reviews or feedback for our website, please remember that this information will be visible to other users of our website.
Children and Personal Information
This website is not intended for use by children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children. If we become aware that we are holding any information about children under the age of 15, we will take any actions necessary to comply with data protection legislation, including if appropriate, deleting the information. If you become aware that your child (under 15) has provided their personal information to us, without your consent, please let us know as soon as possible by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can take appropriate action.
5. Marketing Communications
You will receive marketing communications or newsletters from us only (i) if you wish it, (ii) if you are one of our customers, provided that this communication will concern similar products or services or if (iii) this communication is linked to your business activity.
In this context, we will use the information you provide us, usually just your name and email address.
In any case, you can unsubscribe or make stop direct marketing from us at any time either
- by clicking on the unsubscribe option at the bottom of each marketing communication we send to you;
- by contacting us by email or letter using any of the contact details set out in this notice.
We will generally send you marketing communications until you choose to unsubscribe from receiving them. However, if we have not heard from you for a while or notice that you have not opened our emails in a period of 3 years, we will remove your details from our database. There’s nothing stopping you for subscribing again at any time.
From time to time we may also use your Usage and Device Data to make online suggestions and recommendations to you about goods or services that may be of interest to you. This is necessary for the legitimate interest of our business in developing our products and services and growing our business.
6. Information we collect about you from other places
To enable us to provide you with our services, we may receive personal information about you from other sources, including:
- We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other products and/or services we provide. We also work closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment services, analytics providers, search information providers and credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them. The legal basis for his processing is our legitimate interests, namely monitoring and improving our website, products and services.
- Information from our web servers’ logs, for example information about your computer, such as your IP address, operating system and browser type. We may also collect information on the searches you carry out on our website and your interaction with communications we send you, for example, when you open email communications. (“Usage and Device Data”). This information is used by us for system administration and to analyse how people are using our websites and digital platforms. It also helps us to provide the best online infrastructure for your online activities. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely monitoring and improving our website, products and services.
- Our website may enable you to share your experience and connect with us through third party social networks such as Facebook and Twitter. We may collect this information from our social media sites, including likes, shares and tweets, and about the content on social networking sites. We do not control the privacy of the information you provide on social media networks and the privacy policies of those social media networks will apply when using their services.
7. Where we store your personal information
All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers within EEA.
While we are committed to keeping your personal information secure, the transmission of information online via the internet is not completely secure. We, together with our service providers will do our best to protect your personal information but information provided is at your sole risk.
8. Sharing your personal information
We only share your personal data with people who have a need to know such information to perform their responsibilities. We may share your personal information with the following:
- Within the Michelin Group - we may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries to the extent necessary for the same purposes of the initial processing set out in this policy.
- Service Providers - Michelin may share your personal information with selected service providers that Michelin may use to process your request or provide its services to you. These service providers act as data processors on our behalf and provide IT and system administration services, such as hosting and email services and managing the ratings and reviews.
These service providers are legally obligated to keep the personal information they may have received confidential and secure and to use your personal information the basis of our instructions only.
The main subcontractor is the company Microsoft for the hosting of our website.
9. International Transfers of Personal Data
Michelin is an international group with databases in the various countries in which it operates. Michelin may transfer your personal data within the group to one of its databases or to its external partners located outside of your home country.
As levels of data protection vary worldwide, we do not transmit your personal data to Michelin group companies or to third-party companies outside of the European Union unless these companies offer the same or similar level of personal data protection as Michelin.
For transfers within Michelin, the company has adopted internal rules governing the transfer of personal data from the European Union or European Economic Area.
Transfers of data outside the group are governed either by the BCR of the subcontractor or by contracts containing the clauses of the European Commission for suppliers established outside the EU to guarantee a similar level of protection as that of your home country.
10. How long will personal information be kept by us?
As a rule, we will not hold your personal information for any purpose or purposes for longer than is necessary to fulfil the purposes we collect it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. For more specific retention periods, please see section 4 above.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
In some circumstances you can ask us to delete your data: see your right to be deleted below for further information.
In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
11. Your rights under data protection legislation
Data protection legislation provides you with certain rights when it comes to the processing of your information. These are the right to:
- The right to be informed
- The right to access your information
- The right to correct your information
- The right to delete your information
- The right to restrict processing
- The right to transfer information
- The right to object to processing
- The right to give instructions beyond your death
- For further information on your rights
The right to be informed
You have the right to be informed about how we collect and process your personal information, including who we are, how we use your personal information and your rights in relation to your personal information. We have gathered all the information you need in this privacy notice.
The right of access your information
You have the right to access the personal information we have on you. We can confirm whether or not your information is being processed and provide you with access to your personal information.
The right to correct your information
The right to delete your information
You have the right to request the deletion or removal of your personal information where there is no reason for us to continue to process it. The circumstances in which you can request the right to be forgotten includes, where the information is no longer necessary in relation to the purpose for which it was originally collected or processed and where you have withdrawn your consent to processing.
There are some limited circumstances where the right to be forgotten does not apply – if you want to know, just ask.
The right to restrict processing
You also have the right to ‘block’ or suppress the processing of your personal information. If you request us to suppress your personal information, we will stop any further processing of it.
The right to transfer information
If you want to move or transfer your personal information to a different service provider or copy your information for your own purposes, you have the right to have your information transferred to another person.
The right to object
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal information for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your information for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your information.
The right to define the outcome of your personal information after your death
You have the right to give us instructions on what we wish that we do with your personal information after your death. We will register it and if we heard that such event occurred, we will comply with your instructions.
For further information on your rights
You can find further information on your data protection rights from the data protection authorities of the country to which you depend.
12. What can you do if you’re not happy?
We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. However, if you’re not happy with how we collect or process your information or just want some further information on your rights, you can contact us through the contact form on our site
We will work with you to resolve any issues you may have and aim to answer any question raised by you as soon as possible.
You can also make a complaint to your supervisory authority.
13. About Data Security
Michelin has implemented measures to protect the privacy, security and integrity of your personal data. Access to personal data is restricted to those employees and service providers who need to know this information and who have been trained to comply with rules on confidentiality.
On Michelin's commercial sites, banking information will be collected for the purposes of effective, legal secure payment processes. These measures may consist of SSL encryption (intended to make the data unreadable to others) during the collection or transfer of confidential data. Said information will be used only for purposes of online payment and will not be retained.
Michelin ensures that your personal data are not altered, damaged or accessed by unauthorised third parties.
We may change our policy from time to time. Any changes we make to this policy in the future will be posted on this page. If you have an online account with us, we may notify you of any changes by email or through your account the next time you log on.
Date: July 2021